Monday, April 14, 2008

Outdoor Work

Today the wind diminished and the rain stopped for the most part and we were able to get outside and work. All 4 of us, working together, did a Mean incubation Count for Masked Booby and then I got to work in the plots that will be mine for the entire 4 months. These are Red-footed Booby and Red-tailed Tropicbird. I will survey these plots 3 times per week, mapping and collecting data on nests, new eggs, and chicks. I have a ways to go in my learning. I am settling in, and once I understand my plots a little better the work will be more rewarding and less stressful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How large is the area you will be surveying? Do you split the island into four parts?
Hannah

Anonymous said...

your description of your plot and what you are to do remind me of working with the chimps on my earthwatch venture. - i too have a plot of boobies i'm monitoring- 27 flesh eating boobies, which sometimes make me loopy! today i finally got to watch their behavior while taking the annual STAR trek. page turning, yawns, eyes following text on a page, head turns toward the clock,pencil to paper, stretches, empty stare. . can you predict which category had the most data? joan

Anonymous said...

Just a note to say "hello" and that we look forward to monitoring your project. Sarah (10) just raised money for our local wildlife center by making a calendar with photos she took of the birds and animals held there. I know she will be very excited to share your adventure.
Take care. Beverly

Anonymous said...

Hey Gary, More later.
For now my heart goes out to you for the passing of your mom.
Paul Mooney