Monday, April 7, 2008

First Day

Yesterday's flights all went well and my bags followed along correctly. We flew out to Tern Island today and that flight went well. Today I've been shown around by the other volunteers and given a quick overview of how things work. I also walked a study plot with Laura, one of the other volunteers, and we read all the plastic bands on the albatross chicks in that plot. The bands are put on when the chicks are very young so they can be identified while they are still in the breeding colony. When we identified the bird we then noted the stage of feather development. It's all kind of overwhelming at this point and I'm tired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow,
I can't believe you are out there in the middle of nowhere. I can't believe they are puting you to work already. I guess that is a good way to take care of jet lag. I can't wait to see the first couple of pictures. What are your first impressions of that place? It seems almost more like you are at sea then on land. How long did it take you to fly there from Hawaii? Can't wait to here from you again.

Love,
Jens