Friday, April 25, 2008

MS Nielsen's Class in Penn Valley

I hope I can answer all of your questions. The only reptile we see are little geckos in the barracks. They are harmless and eat bugs. They are not native. We have no amphibians. We see lots of fish, especially when we snorkel but sometimes just looking into the water we see fish. We have seen many different kinds up to 3 feet long. We haven't seen whales or dolphins but at a different time of the year whales are seen to the north of the island. When the young albatross start leaving the island for the first time the sharks will show up to eat the young birds, but we haven't seen any yet. I read somewhere that sharks eat about 1 out of 10 of the chicks when they first fly out past the breakers. We get lots of different kinds of trash on the beaches and we do pick it up. It includes glass and plastic bottles from Asia and the U.S.A., plastic parts from commercial fishing gear and lots of unidentified pieces of plastic. My bird study work is getting better. I am learning my job and learning where the nests are in the plots where I'm working. Those were all good questions. I will try to answer any that you send me.

No comments: