Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Day Off on Tern Island

(The picture shows Tern Island from the small boat. The boat house on the left, the barracks on the right.)
Last night about 2:30 a.m. I was awakened by thunder and lightning. I opened my eyes and there was lightning flashing every few seconds. Today is a day off so I actually got up and watched the lightning for a short while. It was the first lightning I've seen here. I got up about 7:30, had some breakfast and went for a slow picture taking stroll down the island. I saw 2 Monk Seals on the berm above South Beach and about 40 Green Sea Turtles on East Beach, including one that has a radio locater glued to it carapace. The radio gear was installed in the main islands sometime this Spring. I was thinking about a bike ride but the bike had a flat, so I patched the tube and put the bike in order for a ride this afternoon. As I returned to the barracks a snorkel trip was in the planning so I joined in. The water was very murky so nobody was very enthusiastic about the swim. When we got near the beach where we started an adult Monk Seal started investigating us. It swam slow circles around us about 20 feet away. We work hard 6 days a week and days off are fun and varied but everyone seems more at ease on work days.

No comments: