Sunday, July 27, 2008

Day Off

We only have 1 day off each week and that is probably a good idea. The island doesn't seem small until you have too much time to kill. Today I've walked to the end of the island twice, taking pictures, and have read my book in between times. I also spent 1 ½ hours cooking, believe it or not. I blanched and roasted 2 ½ cups of almonds that Jan sent in a care package that arrived on the last visit from the ship. Most of the folks here live in areas far from almond orchards and have never had this Central Valley treat. I also baked brownies from a mix that was in Jan's care package. They required very little cooking ability to succeed and turned out well. Since we are responsible for our own evening meal on Sunday, I will continue my culinary delights and whip up a grilled cheese sandwich with a side of Dill Pickle and chips. Back to work tomorrow.

No comments: