Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tern Island Volunteer

After writing and submitting my first resume' in 25 years I was recently chosen as a Tern Island volunteer. Tern Island is part of a national wildlife refuge in the remote islands 500 miles north and west of Honolulu. I will leave Oroville in early April of 2008 and return in August of 2008. It is an exciting time but also creates some trepidation. Four months is a long time to be away from home and family. This quest began with a short 2 hour visit to Tern Island in June of 2000 as part of my Teacher at Sea voyage on the Townsend Cromwell, so the island's environment and location are not completely new to me. I have been researching online for the past few days and here is a site that has been helpful:

http://www.ternisland.com/

Also, Google Earth has a neat view of the island and the surrounding French Frigate Shoals. Enter this set of coordinates 23 52.11N, 166 17.00W

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gary,
I made it to your blog. Sounds like quite the adventure you're about to embark on. Looking forward to future updates...
Jerry